Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Books for kids

As a mom who loves books I have quite the growing library. And I am a firm believer of the quote, Children become readers on the laps of their parents. Therefore it only makes sense that my children, even at their young ages, are readers and admirers of a well crafted book. My oldest (6) likes to grab books off the shelf and look through and piece together words she knows and even, on occasion, has the patience to sound out the harder words and string the sentences together. Her current favorite is Little Women.
So what is the point of all this proud mama talk? Content my friends, content.
I happen to like a bunch of different genres and that goes from YA to classics, General fiction, historical, and chick lit. Do I think that my darling daughter should be sounding out scenes out of A Thousand Splendid Suns? --no, probably not. She is okay in the classics, within reason but I believe in the innocence of childhood so I want to censor her a bit. I don't love middle grade or early readers and don't always have time to pre-read everything before her so I have turned to this fab site: The Literate Mother. They read  books, and post reviews, including spoilers and rate it in language, violence, sexual content and adult themes. Then they give it a one to five rating along with an explanation of why it got that rating. It's a great place. Check it out.
Do you monitor the books your kiddos read or are they free to roam?

No author spotlight today, useful website in it's place. :)

No comments: